Makes 18 large muffins
- 125gm butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup golden syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups fresh pears peeled and diced = 3 whole pears
- 3 cups Self Raising flour
- Measure milk and eggs and allow to stand. (Curdling is less if all ingredients are at room temperature.) Turn oven on, set at 180 – 200 degrees C. Grease muffin tins or use non stick pans.
- Cream butter, sugar and golden syrup. Beat in eggs and add milk. Stir in the diced pears. Stir in the flour. Do not overstir. Muffin texture is enhanced by minimal mixing and minimal time before getting them into the hot oven.
- Heap mixture into muffin pans using a large spoon. Bake for 25 – 30 mins until a golden brown. Remove from oven, allow to stand 5 minutes before removing from pans.
- Muffins are best eaten on the day they are cooked. Muffins may be frozen wrapped in airtight bags. Sandwich bags are useful for storing individual muffins.
Note – canned pears may be used. Drain syrup well and reduce milk to 3/4 cup.
Note 2 – Wheat flour can be replaced with cornflour. Use 2 level teaspoon of baking powder to each cup of cornflour. When using cornflour use Jumbo size eggs.
Leave a Reply